Thursday, April 16, 2009

Some Lost Lovin'

I'm a Lost addict. After watching last night's newest episode I continue my routine for the week by 1. Analyzing Doc Jensen's take on it all, and 2. Talking to my brother so we can confer, concur, and try out some conclusions (if that's possible with Lost). So, as I'm winding down my Lost routine for the week (sniff, sniff) I've really been thinking about why it is I like this show so much.

Lost makes you think. It's so unlike most reality/sitcom/drama crap on TV right now because it's really a show that lets the viewer try to come up with their own conclusions about what's going. Now, granted the Lost actors, and probably even the writers, may be wingin' it from week to week with all their complicated mumbo-jumbo, but still I love the mystery and the answered/unanswered questions of the Island.

For example, (and it took Doc Jensen and Jason to tell me this), but in last night's episode dead-bullet-hole guy wasn't actually shot with a bullet. It was metal filling from his tooth that was jarred lose with such force from the electromagnetism thingy down by the donkey wheel. But, the show didn't come right out and say that. All we knew was what the dead guy "told" Miles. The last thing he remembered was feeling what he thought was his tooth, essentially, going through his head. Lost didn't tell us that - it made us come up with our own conclusion that that's what happened! Oh, how I love this stuff! (Most bloggers gush about loving their husbands and kids, I gush about loving Lost....hmmm. I do love all the boys in my house, but I don't come right out and say that - you see, I let you infer that through my posts and come to the conclusion that "Oh my, yes, she does love her family." See, how tricky I am! I could write for Lost...OK, maybe not. I'm not quite that sci-fi.)

Of course I do enjoy mind-numbing entertainment (Dumb & Dumber is a classic), but I also enjoy media that let you think for yourself. See, this is why The Office is also a fav. There's no damn laugh track: "Oh yea, hey guys, this joke isn't funny enough for you to get on your own, so we'll insert canned laughs here so you can know this is supposed to be hilarious."

No, the awkward silences of The Office are enough for me. I get it. I get that humor - and that's where Sam and I are at odds. We enjoy different entertainment. He's more of an American Pie-type, while I'm more of a Napoleon Dynamite-type. ("Well, I don't know Napoleon, make yourself some ques-a-dillas or something.") He doesn't get Dwight and I don't get the whole apple pie thing. Makes me sad we can't enjoy TV together, but we do both like The Soup....so maybe there's hope.

1 comment:

Nancy Nina said...

I love The Soup. I think it would be great to hang out with Joel McHale but then I guess after a while, he'd just be making fun of me in some way I wouldn't get.