Sunday, December 6, 2009

Laguna Seca


































In October, I, along with my mother-in-law and father-in-law, flew to Monterey, California for one of Sam's last races. It was really a nice trip because:

1. I didn't have my children (love them dearly, my sweet ones, but I don't think I'd been away from them overnight since...well, ever maybe?)

2. We weren't stressed to get here or there.

3. Ate out the whole time...yes! Finally got to eat at "Bubba Gump Shrimp." Sam has at least three t-shirts from there so it was nice to finally see where he was spending money. I'm not much into seafood, except for popcorn shrimp. The only popcorn shrimp was in a kid's meal. And yes, I did slurp down the blue Jell-O that came with it.

4. Walked John Steinbeck's famous Cannery Row - thank goodness it no longer smells of sardines.

5. Took a tour around 17-Mile Drive and Pebble Beach.

6. Cruised down Highway 1 to Big Sur and through Carmel-by-the-Sea...was looking for Mayor Clint Eastwood but didn't see him.

7. Took a stroll around paddock area before the race and saw a lot of the drivers and cars I've seen on TV. And there was a rumor that Frankie Munoz was there...ah, who cares? I'd much rather have seen Patrick Dempsey or Matthew Fox, both of whom have raced in the American Le Mans Series and both of whom Sam has met, along with Ashley Judd.

8. Enjoyed the race - all seven minutes of it until Drayson was pushed off the road. No big deal, just a $250,000 repair is all.

9. Enjoyed staying in a hotel.

10. Was ready to be Mom again after four days away from the boys. Thanks Mom and Dad!

Sidenote: The racetrack is Laguna-Seca. We were watching "Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo" the other day (yes, still love Herbie and my kids do now, too) and Sam recognized the track at the beginning as Laguna Seca's. Man, my husband is so smart!

3 comments:

tiesha said...

Glad the trip was great. I think I need to introduce you to some great fish though. Popcorn Shrimp does not do the fish world justice.

Jeana said...

Hey too bad I didn't know you were in town we go to Monterey Bay all the time these days. It is only an hour from my house.... Remember Michelle Abbot (who I use to work with at Zuka Juice) ya she lives there now, so we hang out a lot more these days and go to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. It seems like it has been forever since I have seen any of you guys! Glad you had a good time though. :)

Kara said...

You deserved that trip and I am glad you enjoyed it. And Bubba Gump Shrimp was one of my favorite places to eat at in Hawaii! It's fun but probably not the best seafood in the world.