Thursday, February 18, 2010

My Next 30 Years

Today I turned 30. To celebrate, I'd like to take a look back at my last ten years with a quick review:

Age 20: Graduated from Dixie College, worked at Houston's in Kanab, went one semester to the University of Utah
Age 21: Moved back to St. George, met Sam, got engaged
Age 22: Married Sam, moved to Santa Clara home
Age 23: Finished college at SUU
Age 24: Baby #1 - Matt
Age 25: Ran my first marathon
Age 26: Baby #2 - Milo, moved to current home
Age 27: Baby #3 - Cooper
Age 28: Can't recall anything, survived?
Age 29: Ran second marathon

But being the realist that I am, I have to concede that while these were all pretty big events in my life, they weren't without some hardships, as well. So, since I HATE blogs about perfect husbands, children, hobbies, color schemes, and yummy treats, I have to interject some realism into my "20s List" (to help out all those folks that, like me, need to know that everyone else does NOT have a perfect life).

Age 20: Was so confused about where to go after Dixie, I felt lost
Age 21: Felt like I had to compete for Sam's affection, I won, but what was this, "The Bachelor"??
Age 22: Felt like a failure for not getting married in the Temple
Age 23: Gained a significant amount of "we're in a comfortable routine now" marriage weight
Age 24: Did not know what the joys of motherhood were all about with a new baby that screamed for hours and hours every night for two months
Age 25: The year of the mouse invasion in our home - I didn't sleep for weeks
Age 26: Found out I was pregnant when Milo was 5 months old, cried for months because the smells in our new home made me want to vomit and I felt like the old owner's dirt, and bird droppings, would never leave no matter how much I cleaned
Age 27: Threw a flower pot at my husband in front of his friends because I was very emotional
Age 28: Was consumed with three little kids, two of which weren't ready for Nursery at church
Age 29: Ran a marathon and didn't lose a damn pound

Life's not always great, but I am so thankful for the opportunities I've had to finish my education, have a family, and live in a place I like. As Tim McGraw would say I'll "drink a little lemonade and not so many beers, huh, maybe I'll remember my next 30 years." OK, so the beers haven't been a problem, but I can always "do it better in my next 30 years."

8 comments:

Monica Hudson said...

That was one of the best birthday posts I've ever read. I love your honesty 'cause let's face it, life ain't perfect and anyone who pretends it is is dilusional! Bravo on a wonderful post and happy birthday! 30 rocks...bring it!

Katie said...

Hooray for non-perfect lives! I fully admit to not having one of those as well. Congrats on turning 30! I'm close behind you!

Lainee said...

Love your posts Jackie! You are awesome!

Kara said...

You will remember your next 30 and according to Oprah (cause you know how much I love to quote her) life just gets better with age. She says 50 is the new 30, so just look what we have to look forward to! It was so nice to hang out with you yesterday. We need to do it more often and thanks so much for feeding us so well and having a great place to keep our boys entertained! Miss you and hope to see you again SOON!!

How do you like the Glee soundtrack? I listened to it the whole way to and from St. George yesterday- I was rockin out to it for 4 hours and I never get sick of it! Love ya!

Nancy Nina said...

Loved the highlights with the realism. Happy Birthday Jackie! p.s. did you ask the bakery lady at Albertsons to write on your cake??

The Holland Family said...

Jack- You crack me up. I love the "Ran a marathon and didn't lose a damn pound". That would be me for sure. Except my line is "Ate 5 cookies and gained 5 damn pounds" Happy 30th Birthday, Its all downhill from here sister.

Chelsea Davidson said...

i love this post, i am exactly where you were at confused about school, and well mostly life right now. and its nice to read a blog that is real and doesn't have all the frillys on it. hope your birthday was great! we are coming to st george this weekend maybe we can see you guys!

Tiesha Nesbit said...

Wow! Although I don't want anything sad for you to deal with cause I love you so much. I had to admit I laughed a few times. You are the best writer. I think more people feel like you do, but just don't admit it. I have a list like that too. I had 3 chillins' back to back too, oh such crazy times.

And hey, thanks for throwing that flower pot, he deserves it after putting all those welts on my arm when we were all younger.