Sunday, March 28, 2010

Dad's Home

Sam came home yesterday. Three weeks the man's been gone.

This has been the story of our marriage. He was a truck driver when we married. He moved from a dedicated trucking route to being a member of a race team that travels the country seven out of 12 months. So, our marriage works that way.

On March 16th we'd been married eight years. He's missed probably six of those anniversaries. He's usually gone a full month out of the year during the summer.

I'm not complaining. I'm actually pretty independent.

But, it's getting harder.

Halfway through this last voyage, Matthew didn't want to play soccer, an admission that's way out of the ordinary for him. Milo's random meltdowns often got him a trip straight to his bedroom. And my too frequent dismissals of Cooper's clingyness left his "Mikey" (blanket) with a few new torns as he found comfort in dragging it everywhere.

I think we all had a good wake-up call about how much we need Dad around.

Today was a much more pleasant day. I needed a reminder of how I do enjoy my little boys. And how much any little boy needs his Dad.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Wow, I can't believe you guys have been married 8 years! That's crazy. Seems like I was making the trip out to your wedding yesterday!

Jason and Allison said...

All I can say is that its about damn time Matt realized that he didn't have to play that Communist sport if he didn't want to. Hooray for independent thinkers.

Kara said...

I'm glad that your husband is finally home and things are better. I seriously don't know how you do it girl! You are one tough woman. Wish I lived closer to you and could help you out a little more. I'm here though, anytime you need to vent, just call on me!! YOu can complain to me all you want!