They had some ladies share memories of "olden" times. I couldn't relate to diapering any babies in cloths, making bottles with water and Karo syrup, not strapping kids in car seats, or hanging clothes to dry (ironing, what's that?). But, after some thoughtful reflection I do have two memories that does stand out from early on my church-going youth:
First, my mom wore a ton of clothes before she could even put on her Sunday dress. As a child that amazed me and I remember telling her so. First to go on was the Gs, then the pantyhose, bra, girdle, slip, and finally the dress. Man, I remember thinking that was a ton of clothes. Now, I must be getting older because I dress the same way - although I am thinking of switching to Spanx as a way to combine the pantyhose/girdle combo. Anyone tried it?
Second, has to be the "lantern" my mom made in some activity. I think it was comprised of a small saucer plate, upside down tea cup, another saucer all glued together and spray painted with some rubber black concoction. I guess the '80s had their lanterns and we have our magnet boards - go figure.
4 comments:
Sounds like a fun night! I wish I could have seen my mom in her sweet 70's outfit! I am sure it was classic.
Man I must be lazy! Most of the time I am wearing a skirt with opened toes, no slip and no pantyhose or slip or girdle...
If its a Mary Kay event I put on nylons but that is the only time. I guess I consider my spandex type g's as my girdle these days. I can't imagine not having all the 'conviences' that I consider 'necessities' that we have! :)
You're so funny. Your R.S. birthday party sounds a lot different than the one we had. I heard you had a girls' night out with Necia and all her sisters and all your sister-in-laws. I'm glad you got to do that.
Relief Society has some fond memories, thanks for yours. No more girdles for me!
Post a Comment