Saturday, May 30, 2009

Diaper gods vs. Potty gods



I haven't wanted to write about the process of potty training Milo because I've been holding my breath about it (in more ways than one). I also did not want to risk somehow offending either the diaper gods or the potty gods. But after a touch-n-go week, I think it's safe to say he's got the hang of it. HALLELUJAH!


This, I must say, was a bit harder to accomplish than it was with Matt. You see, with Matt, after he was trained in pretty much a day, I was feeling pretty confident and almost...cocky. He was a boy, about 2 1/2 years old, and I did it in a day (with only a few accidents after that first day). Thanks to advice from my Aunt Donna, I thought I could have written a book about potty-training. A little bit of candy bribes, no pull-ups only undies, cleaning up their own accidents, spankings, and the longest day of my life sitting in that damn bathroom ALL DAY! So, I was pretty confident in this method.


Well, kids have a way of humbling their moms. I did my above method with my second child. Sure, he was great about cleaning up his own messes and reading books on the pot (child after my own heart), but spanks didn't seem to faze him and he wasn't getting it! His method was to sit on the pot for 20 minutes and pee two minutes after he got out. I wasn't going to give in and put him back in diapers - it's been do or die this last week because after nearly two years of two kids in diapers - I'm about done with that.


Suffice it to say, he's gotten it now, we've survived, and I'm holding my breath after posting this that I will not suffer the wrath of any potty gods by jumping the gun and declaring to my bloggers that Milo has said goodbye diapers, hello porcelain god!

2 comments:

Kara said...

I hate you! I am too lazy to try with NAthan, but I'm so sick of having two kids in diapers. I feel like all I do all day is change diapers! Nathan's poos are disgusting too! I just need to buck up and do it!! This is even more motivating for me to try though.

Nancy Nina said...

I still have a little bit of PTSD from my potty training experience (my boy's, not my own). I think it's hilarious that we call it potty "training" - yeah, right, like we train them to do anything. They just get it one day...when they are plain good and ready.