So, I was inspired to write this latest post as I gazed out my kitchen window and noticed a big pile of dog crap on the walkway leading up to the front door. I do not have a dog. So, I must assume the neighbor's dog, who in between crapping on my property, wanders the neighborhood sowing his seeds and digging through my garbage, must be the culprit.
We do not own a dog, or any pet for that matter for several reasons. And now before all fellow blogging animal loving friends, and PETA member cousins...yea, you know who you are, curse me, let me first tell you that I do not condone any abuse, neglect, or hatred towards any animal. I just choose not to own any for the following reasons:
1. I spent 90% of my day cleaning up after other living creatures. Why would I want to add to the mix another creature that eats and poops?
2. I've had a puppy before. They chew on everything. The dig holes where holes aren't supposed to be. They jump and scare little kids.
3. They poop. I don't want to spend any part of my day pooper-scooping. And you have to do it because if you don't someone's bound to walk in it.
4. They pee and kill the grass.
5. They shed.
6. They bark.
7. They get out and annoy the neighbors...you know like digging through their trash and coming into open garages and peeing on valuables.
8. I don't like cats because they are so unpredictable. I don't like creatures with sharp claws and teeth so close to my face. I think that might have a beginning when I was bitten by my Aunt Joanne's cat. Granted I was petting him while he was eating...sorry Nancy Nina.
9. I've never been into the rodent pet thing. I've always had an aversion to gerbils, mice, hampsters, guinea pigs, etc.
10. Even gold fish stink up the bowl.
I don't hate dogs. I just don't want one right now. Besides, no dog could ever replace Oreo. We got him in front of City Market, he was a mutt, when I was 9 and he died shortly after I got married when I was 22. I think he knew his time was coming to an end so he left my parents' house and died somewhere in the fields or near the creek where he loved to roam. Maybe some psycho-analysis would reveal that no dog could ever take Yo-yo's place.
I know at some point we'll have to get a dog. No little boy should grow up without one. But, until Matthew can pooper-scoop, feed, and play with it everyone will just have to deal because I AM THE MOM!
4 comments:
You make me laugh:) I totally feel the same way!
I feel your pain - I don't have any dogs either and yet there is a pet path burned into my front yard and poop galore in the most ulikely of places. Remember to get a dog YOU really like because once you bring it home to your sons - it will be the dog that you get to "keep for them" until they: stop living in the dorm; after the mission; after they graduate; after they get married; after they get a home with a fence; after the baby gets a little older...
For the record, that cat was from Grand Junction, CO...one of Allison's brood. So blame her. Yes, you will definitely need to get a dog for your boys. We have ours because my husband had to work through some of his childhood issues when his parents wouldn't let him have one. He's pretty well adjusted now :)
Way to stand your ground! I think all boys should have a dog and I want one someday too, but now is not the time or the place. I have always had a dog growing up and my parents' dog just died and they say they don't want another one. It kind of makes me sad to go home and not have a dog to greet me. I guess it's different when you don't have to take care of it and clean up after it's messes.
Cute Christmas card and new family pictures!! You are on the ball! I'll be lucky if I get a New Years card out this year.
Post a Comment