Sam is very much the entrepenuer. Since I've known him he's always had his own tractor (semi, for those of you "lay people") that he's leased to his dad's trucking company. But on the side, Sam's owned a pest control business, lawn maintenance business, has worked for the race team, manages the motorhome for race team owner's family, and we just "celebrated" our one year Andrus Towing anniversary.
So, Sam, who I believe has financial ADD, likes to keep busy. Just today he is on his way down to El Paso, Texas to haul some belongings, including four broken cars and a horse, for a Mexican family. Apparently since the Oasis has closed in Mesquite, a lot of workers are picking up and moving back down south (if you know what I mean). So, Sam's set off on yet another business venture - apparently we are now in competition with Mayflower Moving.
Sam is gone now so that leaves me to answer calls for the towing company. Hello, I am not equipped with either knowledge, or emotional stability, to do this. I'm getting so stressed out about it. In theory, this arrangement should work OK. I answer calls, call one of two men who do the tows when Sam is gone, they get right to it, do the job, call me back when they're done, and I call the customer to collect payment. It ain't working that way.
First, most times I feel like an idiot because I either ask stupid questions, or don't ask the right questions, to the customer, which leaves either party with more questions. Second, it's not working when either worker isn't available to do the work. Combine those two reasons with the third and you'll get the real clincher: I worry way too much!
There are few industries where workers are more hardened than the transportation industry. Think about it: what do women truckers look like? And, what do women dispatchers act like? Yea...there's a little food for thought. These women are either hardened by the nature of their business, or they go into the business because they're already tough. So, on the phone I'm dealing with gruff people; the tone just isn't quite the same as my visiting teacher calling for a visit.
So, I admit I'm a people pleaser. I get stressed out dealing with incidences I don't know much about with people who want answers immediately. I don't know how my mother-in-law has survived 30+ years in this industry. I don't know how I'm going to survive my appointed job (thanks honey!) when my husband leaves for weeks at time to Europe for the race team, where he probably won't get any Verizon service. I think if I were to work full-time dispatching for a trucking company I would have to curl up in the corner and cry. In fact, I'm going to go do that right now!
2 comments:
Great Post ! It's fortunate in this economy that your husband is busy have a great day !
I'm sorry Jackie! I wouldn't handle things in your situation very good at all. In fact, I probably wouldn't last a week in your shoes! I can't deal with my one kid when Chris has a long week of work and comes home every night!! I'm screwed when this next baby comes!!! I'll be calling you.
Post a Comment