Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Going Green

Going green. Ah, it's so inspiring, so empowering, so....trendy. OK, since when did trying to save the planet become the "in" thing to try that all the "cool" kids were doing? Oh, yea, I remember: When Hollywood and the media decided to slap a new label on what us old-school folks used to call, um, "recycling, reusing, and conserving."

TV and the media are so full of the "Going Green" hype now it makes me want to puke green, especially when it comes from celebrities who fly in their private jets to environment-awareness rallies (hello, Kate Walsh). I'm all for refilling my plastic water bottle (or better yet, drinking a glass of water from the tap), reusing my plastic bags as waste basket liners, and simply not showering. But rest assured, I'm not doing it because Hollywood gave me the idea.

And besides, if "Going Green" was so innovative, why wasn't my great-grandma (who lived through the Depression) given any props for her ingenuity in saving 1/4" slivers of soap in plastic bags for reuse in the far future? Because she doesn't get paid millions of dollars to look good on TV and spout tips for better living that, to the rest of us, is simply life.

But, I mean really. Who couldn't do without the stylish eco-friendly diaper bag, inspired and created by my personal hero Trista Sutter, so you can fill it with organic hemp blankets that Punky Brewster herself endorses. For real, I'm not making this up - check it out in a recent issue of Star Magazine, which is, of course, my personal bible. (No kidding, I actually do have a year subscription.)

But all that mumbo-jumbo aside, does anyone know how I can turn in my carbon credits?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Are they paying for Carbon Credits. I don't know about you but the economy has us being super thrifty. I wouldn't trade either of our old paid for trucks for a prius and payments that's for sure. Have a great Day!

Monica Hudson said...

LOL!! My sentiments exactly!

Kara said...

You made me think of my Mom and Grandma, who don't throw anything away! I was just trying to get my mom to throw away some old tin foil and those tin foil pie pans, and she was like "NO, I save those! Those aren't dirty!!" I try to change a light bulb every once in awhile and recycle my plastic bottles, but I think this all started with Oprah and her love of Al Gore and Bill Clinton.

Jason and Allison said...

Dude, stop reading those damn magazines. I don't even know who those people are that you mentioned. They are rotting your brain. What ever happened to the days of reading actual books?

Megan said...

Jackie... Hey, I saw your mom over Christmas while I was in GJ but didn't recognize her until my mom told me who she was... please tell her "Hi" from me again and apologize for me for coming off as a little unfriendly! Also, please tell her that she is looking very slim and trim! Thanks! Hope you have a Happy New Year!