My mom was the Young Women's president, for a time, while I was a Beehive. At one Mutual activity she made cookies. One of the older girls approached her. "Nan, what type of cookie is this?" To which my mother replied, "Chocolate chip." Laurel girl: "Are you sure?" There wasn't a single chocolate chip to be found in that whole little cookie. You see, mom believes in only using 3/4 bag of the chips. Mom told said Laurel to "shut up." Mom is not right on this one. I hate imposter cookies.
I had a hard time adjusting to college life my first month of school. I came home for a short break. My mom and I went to Taco Bell. They gave me a hard taco instead of the soft taco I had ordered. I was so mad. I threw that taco out the window right there on North Avenue. I blame it on my emotional issues of the time. Mom got so mad at me. It was an awkward ride home.
One time my brother took a handful of buttons from the button bin at the craft store. He showed them to me in the back seat of the car. I told on him. My mom and dad drove us back to the scene of the crime and made Jason confess. I love getting my brother in trouble.
In Kindergarten I didn't have anything to show or tell for Show and Tell. I told them my mom was having a baby. They all totally bought it. Suckers. She wasn't and didn't for another nine years. My teacher learned the truth at parent/teacher conferences. Mrs. Hanson never did like me. She took me for a liar, I guess.
I cried when I misspelled "pancake" on a second grade spelling test. I knew it was really "panacake." My mom had to tell me our family had been mispronouncing it my entire life. I was devastated.
I was about four months pregnant with my first child when I started my student teaching. Mom took me maternity clothes shopping and encouraged the looser fitting tops as opposed to the hug-every-bulge-and-roll shirt style of the time. As a result, my mentor teacher told me a lot of students weren't sure if I was pregnant or just fat (he didn't say that, but I know that's what he meant). He told me I should probably inform them I was just so they'd be quiet about it. I did. They were relieved the "cat was out of the bag." I was too. Well, not really. But it did help to explain the shortness of breath while reading later in the semester.
Thanks Mom. Love you and hope you start to feel better.
4 comments:
Loved the post. I always think of grand junction when I'm at Taco Bell
Haha, loved this post!
What a bunch of great lessons learned from yo mama! My favorite is the Taco Bell story! What was so hard about your first semester of college? I was there- it was perfect ALL the time! No drama, no stupid annoying roommates, no fights- just love and harmony! Why did you have to take it out on the taco?
Ya, my principal didn't want me to make a big deal about being pregnant so the cat wasn't out of the bag until I was EIGHT months pregnant. Awkward!
Post a Comment