"FS" - that's my new lingo for Food Storage. And this week I've been on yet another "gotta-get-it-now" kick. However, after some self-reflection, I am admitting some not so good things about my new hobby.
I love the idea of food storage. We've been told to get it and get our houses in order to prepare for times of personal family need or maybe some disaster in the future. I get it, and I'm trying to do that.
But, here are my problems: I love to organize. I enjoy looking in my pantry, deciding what I need, and making lists. I love lists. Lots of lists. Lots of times, lots of lists with lots of nothing crossed off on them.
So, I was thrilled last night at 11:30 pm when I found on the church's website a spreadsheet program that actually let you type in the amount of item you needed at the cannery, and then added it all up for you with a grand total. How cool is that! So, I printed that list off.
Then, I got all giddy again when I found a food storage inventory checklist that works just like a checkbook ledger. Wow! It organizes all your essentials into an easy to follow (what else?) another checklist!
So, I'm all pumped up with my lists now. So, time for my next favorite part of FS: going shopping! I think I enjoy this part so much because it's kind of guilt-free. About 75 percent of the time I feel guilty buying things for myself. But, it's FS, right? It's for the common family good, so the cannery wants $180 for red wheat, here you go! Love to spend that money.
So, I love FS lists. I love FS shopping. What I don't love is FS cooking. Open a can of wheat and I would have to take a good, hard educated guess to come close to what it is. But, for my b-day in a few weeks I'm asking for a wheat grinder so I can have some motivation to become better acquainted with my 70 lbs. of wheat in the basement. (But, I don't know who I'm asking since I always wind up buying my own presents and my own cake. Do you know how weird and narcissistic it is to tell the lady at Albertson's to write your own name on the cake?)
Anyway, I'm slowing building up my FS, I just now need some motivation to use it. I really need some motivation because what did I want for dinner last night? Pizza. And I'm not talking the good-deal-10-for-$10 pizza. I wanted the good stuff, and so far my FS just hasn't caught my interest in that way.
10 comments:
Thanks for sharing the excitement about FS! I need any motivation I can get! Also thanks for the tip about the checklist... maybe now I can get a better idea of what I should/need to have in my FS!
You are so funny! Um, I bought a wheat grinder almost a year ago and I haven't used it once!! I buy a little food storage here and there and we even have enrichment lessons on how to use it. You sound on the ball!
Jackie..I love your blog Eventually, you should consider going back to writing for the paper. We need people like you in the media.
PS: I can't stand Joy from the view either...
I have a wheat grinder, and I have used it a few times. You will love wheat bread! I don't know if you will love it as much as pizza, but it's worth a try!!
Hey - whether you've figured out how to use it or not, you're still far ahead of me! You've inspired me to start working in that direction...or at least put it on MY list! Oh, I love a good list, too! Maybe someday I'll get myself organized enough to feel that my list has done me some good!
Someone get this woman a birthday cake! Preferrably made with whole wheat...
Your readers appreciate your honesty and wit!
You have a typo in the last paragraph and it is pissing me off. Fix it.
Hi!
I came across your blog when I was doing some food storage research.
That's great that you are excited about food storage - I love it, too!
If you ever want any tips or ideas for food storage, please feel free to check out our blog. We also have LOTS of recipes that use only food storage (non-perishable) items, so you might find that helpful, too! In fact, just yesterday we posted a recipe for pizza.
Anyway, good luck with your food storage, and feel free to email us with any questions you may have!
Hannah @ Safely Gathered In
http://safelygatheredin.blogspot.com/
Jackie...Comment-allez vous? How have you been girl? I have been blog stalking and came across your page. You look great, you have a beautiful family! It's so fun to reconnect with old friends! If you send me your email, I'll invite you to my blog! krystin_idell@hotmail.com
Jackie!!! You need to love and adore yourself. If you are going to the trouble of ordering a birthday cake you need to fill it with great things. Like, Happy Birthday to the most beautiful woman in the world... or Happy Birthday to the best wife and mother... or She's smart, she's beautiful, she ours. You get the idea. I've decided one day is not long enough to celebrate a birthday so it is at least a week long, or a month depending on what is going on. By the way this is Amy's beautiful and smart mother. Brenda
Post a Comment