Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Dentist

I hate the dentist. I would rather have a baby than go to the dentist. (Sidenote here: I actually look forward to baby delivery day. I've been resigned to C-sections because of small pelvis bones - yea, I know you wouldn't think that to look at me. So, for me, the worst part of having a baby is the IV at the beginning. Hook me up with a spinal block, Percocet, a catheter, food brought right to my bedside, my own TV and remote, someone to change my sheets, people calling and visiting, flowers, someone to watch my kids, a "Call" button at my disposal, and WHO wouldn't want to have a baby! My cousin, KariAnn, says I just need a day at the spa. Yes, that would be cheaper and easier.)

The dentist, on the other hand, does not hand out Percocet like it's Skittles. Besides, there is no place more sensitive than the head/face region. So, I avoid such said pain by just not going. I'm an adult. If I don't want to go to the dentist, then I'm not going. In fact, suffice it to say the last time I went I had but a single child. But, for months now my mother's voice has been ringing quietly in the back of my mind: "your overall health can be linked to what's going on in your mouth." She was always good about taking my brother and me to the dentist. I have failed in that area, so far, with Matt.

So, I bit the proverbial bullet and went today. The overall cleaning was a bit white-knuckle clenching, but I got through it thanks to Joy Behar and the rest of the ladies on "The View." I hate that woman. So, when the substitute dentist came in, of course he found a chipped sealant with a bit of a cavity. He said we could fix it now or later. Didn't know when I'd get the chance again (did I mention going to the dentist was, in part, scheduled as a break from the kids?)

So, this young dentist fella, I kind of like him. This was the most sublime, enjoyable cavity-filling experience I've had in my 23 years of dentistry! He asked if I'd like some nitrous gas. Does this man know me?? Never tried it, but, um, yea, give it to me and do you have a gas hose with a larger diameter? Loved it!

After the initial finger and toes tingling I began to relax. With relaxing music coming through the earphones, the gentle hum of the drill, and the soft warm light of the overhead lamp shining on my face, my body, along with the room, began to sway, and I was on the sunny shores of Oahu. It was over all too quickly. Next time, I will get the gas for my cleaning. I've already scheduled my next exam in six months.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like it went very well. I hate dentists too.

Kara said...

I HATE the dentist. I just went in for my 6 month cleaning- I'm good at getting that done. I was due for x-rays, and I know they will probably find something bad if I get x-rays. But, I lucked out this time, cause I'm pregnant, they can't do them. So, I get to wait another six months before any drill is going in this mouth! Maybe I'll get the gas this time. It's been over 10 years since I've had major pain in my mouth- my wisdom teeth getting pulled. I really don't like the idea of needles and drills in there. At least I won't have to worry about it till my next 6-month cleaning and exam.

Megan said...

You would not believe the things that people would tell me while under the influence of "laughing gas" when I was a dental assistant ... but hey, if it makes your time away from your kids a little more relaxing then I say go for it!

Nancy Nina said...

You're an ADDICT!

Jason and Allison said...

Dentist? What the hell is that? I think the last time I was in a dentist chair I was a teenager. Now that I think about it, that may have been the last time I brushed my teeth too.