Saturday, January 24, 2009

What a Rush!


My conscience once again started to get the better of me last night while watching the 10:00 news: FOOD STORAGE! I must get food storage! This little piece of prophetic counsel has been nagging at me for years, ever since I became "the mom." KSL featured a girl (she looked way too young to have a year's supply) promoting her website and her food storage "made simple" program.

So, after looking down at Sam passed out on the floor by the space heater, I got up, got online, and got to work. I'm sure most of my fellow Utahns are familiar with these programs. My sister-in-law, Tiesha, has also done it and says you can build your food storage up fast.

The above-mentioned KSL girl's website, http://www.myfoodstoragedeals.com/ features the ads from five major Utah grocery stores. She compares each stores' ads and categorizes how good their deals actually are. This works for me because I don't pay attention enough to know if a can of corn at .89 is a good deal or not. It may be advertised as a good deal, but...stores aren't exactly out to help the little guy. So, in her shopping wisdom, she has done the work for you. After a two-week free trial, it costs like $4/month.

The other deal I've finally decided to check out is http://www.couponsense.com/. Again, this a fee service, but the idea here is that you only buy things when they're on sale and you have a coupon for it. The coded coupon system is easy to figure out and they keep track of all the sales at the major grocery stores, too. Another website, http://www.pinchingyourpennies.com/ does what the above two sites do, but it's free. Their system is also not as user-friendly.

So, off I went today. What a rush! At Smith's I picked up two free items, and at Albertson's another free item. Cooper and I were driving around in the mini-van like we were on "Amazing Race: SG edition." My heart was pounding as I raced the aisles looking for my elusive treasures. I was delighted once I found them, then pissed if I was too late and all the goodies were gone.
The picture above is of my most treasured goodies, costing a total of $2. Normally, I found inanimate pictures kind of lame (for example, I just saw a blog of a fixed garbage disposal. Hmm...thanks for the picture?), but I had to post this one for posterity.
So, for my first attempt - not bad. With everything I bought, I think I saved around $19. But, after all that hard work I had to treat myself to Port-a-Sub which was like $8. Shopping is so hard!

3 comments:

Kara said...

This is the new thing- I swear everyone is talking about it. I am going to a class next week and the website they promote is Grocery Smarts or something like that. It's free, but they get you to buy a subscription to the Newspaper to get all the coupons. I heard "pinching your pennies" is a good one.
I love your take on it all though. I can just see you racing through the isles and then treating yourself to an $8 sandwich when it's all over. That's so me!

Mel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lainee said...

I just went to the grocery smarts class last week. I haven't decided if I am ready for the big step of saving all the coupons... I know it sounds dumb, but I have to mentally prepare before I start! Now that I know you are doing it, maybe I should give it a try. Just as long as we don't get into a fist fight in the grocery store over toothpaste!! Just Kidding ;o) Let us know how it is going in a week or two.