Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Old Student

Funny story: So, I went to the bank the other day and pulled up next to the window. The guy took my checks I was depositing, and while he was gone I told Sam that he had dated my roommate Jeana in college. So, he comes back when he's done, and sure enough his name was Jake. I told him he looked familiar and asked if he'd dated a Jeana from Heber City while at Dixie. What follows is the remainder of our conversation:

Jake: You mean Snow Canyon?
Me: No, Dixie. Dixie College, not Dixie High School.
Jake: I don't remember that.
Me: Yea, you dated her, you just don't remember.
Jake: Uh....
Me: Well, you look familiar anyway.
Jake: Well, I did have a teacher in high school named Mrs. Andrus. (he knew my name from looking at my deposit slip)
Me: (at this point it hits me) What's your last name?
Jake: Forbes
Me: OK.....yea, that was me. I was your teacher. Sorry, I just got you confused. Now I know why you look familiar.
Jake: Yea, we read "Jane Eyre," and I was really a punk back then.
Me: (thinking yea you were a punk, but saying) I guess we all go through those stages.
Jake: Yea, haha.
Me: Well, see ya around (as I drove off slumping in my seat).

So, I mistook one of my students for one of my peers. Am I getting old? I taught seniors when I was 23 and they were 17-18, so really I'm not that much older. But, I'm not opening my mouth again. Good thing I'm married. I wouldn't want to accidently hit on one of them. Can you imagine - "Ewwww...Ms. Andrus hit on you?" I'm letting it go at that.

4 comments:

Monica Hudson said...

LOL! Way funny! You're not getting old, they are just looking older than they are so it's easy to mistake them for peers - stupid kids; don't look like normal people after you graduate...just stay punk-like and we'd all be happier! JK - thanks for sharing - that one made my day!

Kara said...

I love this story. I just love running into all my old punk students! Pretty much every one of them were punks!

Brittney and Rob said...

Ha, Ha. I remember Jake...didn't he work at Charlie's or something like that. Look on the bright side... at least he did not press charges.

Jeana said...

Ha ha You mistook him for Jake Stevenson! That is hilarious he must have been good looking because Jake sure was! :)Too funny Dixie sometimes seems so long ago and for the record no he was never my boyfriend just my really good friend who I hung out with all the time...yes Brittany he did work at Charlies :)