Sunday, November 16, 2008

Thanks for Health

Ever been sick? I am so thankful for my health, and even more thankful for the health of my children, my family, and friends. We really are in a wonderful time to be alive. We have so many conveniences that make life easier and modern medicine ranks right up there as one of our greatest blessings.

I've heard it said that our trials in these last days are more of the spiritual nature; we don't have to quite endure what our ancestors did. I know Matthew and I probably would've died in childbirth if it weren't for doctors' abilities to perform C-sections and administer antibiotics. My mom and little sister would've been in the same situation, and were a lot closer than I ever came to death. But, nobody is immune to sickness, spiritual or physical.

Sam's cousin, Jeff Andrus, has spent this last week going through chemotherapy at the U of U Hospital. He is supposed to get a bone marrow transplant, from his brother, in the next day or so. The chemotherapy, though, has caused some unexpected damage and he can't have any pain meds because of the upcoming transplant (I hope I'm getting all this info. right!) The family is having a special fast for him tomorrow. I realize that most you who read my blog probably don't know Jeff, but maybe just keep him in your prayers. He's such a nice guy. He and his wife, Kathryn, have two little kids. Jeff was actually the first person I met at Dixie College (other than roommates) when I first came to St. George. We were in Bro. Judd's institute class together. He's just such a nice, outgoing guy. Please pray for him and his family.

I'm just thankful there are ways to treat, and even diagnose, what ails us. The world has come so far the last 150 years in treating anything. I know it's because of the restored gospel on the Earth, and the diligence of doctors to learn and the faithfulness of people who truly believe that Heavenly Father can heal that leads to so many miracles.


2 comments:

Kara said...

Jackie, thanks so much for this update. I looked at Jeff and Kathryn's blog and my heart and prayers go out to them and their little family. I hope and pray that things go well today and that the transplant works and he can recover quickly. Keep us posted.
I too am grateful for my health and the health of my family. These kind of things make you remember not to take anything for granted.

Lainee said...

Jackie, Gavin and I were looking at your blog and couldn't believe it. Jeff is one of Gavin's friends from high school, they would play city league basketball together. We had no idea about his illness. It is crazy how life can change in an instant. Gavin left him a post on his blog. Thanks for posting this, we will for sure be keeping him in our prayers.